October 17, 2011
Before purchasing, the tile my husband and I decided to see if we could find it, or something similar, at a tile outlet for less. We didn’t find anything that we liked and decided to leave. As we were about to walk out the door, we stopped to take a closer look at this slate tile.
Well, as I suspected, the project was harder than I initially thought. I ran into a few obstacles and it took longer than I planned – five days instead of three. Here are my before and after pictures.
I’m really happy with the results. I learned alot and would definitely attempt another tile project again.
June 28, 2010
I decided to replace my outdoor furniture cushions this year. The cost to replace them, even for the low end and least expensive cushions, was going to add up fast. I wanted to keep the cost down so I decided to make them myself. I found some outdoor (fabric vs. vinyl) tablecloths in some bright prints that I thought would work well. I struggled a bit with some of the details like getting the measurements right and what to use for inserts. I didn’t want this to be one of those projects that never gets completed so I allowed myself to make mistakes and rip out some seams if I had to.
Here are the dining table cushions:
Here are a couple of the pillows…
…and the swing cushions:
I used the old foam from the old cushion, washed it and put snaps in the back seam so that it can be easily removed and washed. The pillow insert is an inexpensive queen size bed pillow.
For the pillows, I cut out felt appliqués and embroidered them into place. I was inspired by throw pillows I’ve seen in the stores and catalogues recently and this project idea from Jo-Ann. Since I was on a pillow-making roll, I had to make this pillow using Ruffles and Stuff’s tutorial. Here’s my version:
I used my die cutter for the butterflies and some of the flowers that I used in the other pillows. I used templates that I found online for the rest of the flowers and for the birds. Also, for the bird pillows, I used a stencil and fabric paint that I already had for the branches. The inserts are from throw pillows that I wasn’t using.
Once I got the measurements right, the sewing was easy and I enjoyed doing the embroidery in the evenings while watching TV.
May 12, 2010
This time of year, my obsession is my garden. The little spare time I’ve had lately, I’ve been working on various things out there. This season began with me wanting to grow strawberries. I bought one of those upside down things but in my opinion, they are not the prettiest garden ornaments, so I did a little research and came up with my own strawberry planter.
I found the little buckets in the dollar bin at Target awhile ago and I bought the chain from the hardware section at Wal-mart. Here’s the strawberries ready to be moved out to the garden…or back in the house if the weather is a little frosty or too windy.
Here’s one of the reasons I haven’t had much time to write lately.
Also, Pookie who is soon to turn 7, lost her first tooth.
As soon as I got home from work, I put together her tooth fairy pillow. I’ve been planning this project for quite some time but like so many other things, I procrastinated. I did succeed in finishing it by bedtime though – in plenty of time for the tooth fairy’s arrival.
March 17, 2010
I made a cylinder bead from the same black clay and lined up eye pins to link it to the square flower piece I made before. The pendant is strung on a mix of glass luster beads and knotted black leather lace. I’ve seen quite a bit of jewelry pieces made with organic material like leather that really appeals to me.
March 4, 2010
Since I was installing it myself, I didn’t follow the directions exactly. My shelf was 8” rather than 6” so I cut the two ribbon pieces a bit longer and I stapled them to the bottom of the shelf before attempting to hang it on the wall. I used thumb tacks to temporarily attach it to the wall so that I could make adjustments before permanently attaching it with screws.
So far, she only has two dolls in her collection – one from Mexico and one from Hawaii. I like the way it looks and it was almost as easy as I thought it would be. I think I’ll use this idea again. It’s definitely more of a display rather than storage solution.
February 17, 2010
I was at Wal-Mart the other day and couldn’t help stopping by the craft section. Although I am a frequent visitor, I didn’t realize that they stock polymer clay. I purchased a variety pack of Sculpy III. I read a tip that different clays should be used for different uses and that Sculpy III may not be strong enough for some jewelry pieces but it seems to be more kid-friendly.
Pookie made the red and white spirals and the face with the Sculpy III and I made the flower pendant and some beads using Studio clay (also by Sculpy) in Midnight and Sedona from Hobby Lobby. I used a clay cutter for the flower which I placed on a square base that I cut out with my Exacto knife. I strung a glass bead and bead cup on a head pin and pushed it into the center of the flower. I added two eye pins to the top so that the pendant can be strung. Studio glossy glaze was used to give everything a shiny finish. The cured clay has a matte finish before polishing which is also nice.
I’m still considering a few design options for completing the jewelry for these pieces as well as plans for some more jewelry projects.
February 9, 2010
I used two shades of pink and red cord. I like the color combination. Now, Pookie is intrigued. I think I’ll pick up some more clay so that she and I can have some fun creating and baking.