June 28, 2010

Pillows and Cushions

I decided to replace my outdoor furniture cushions this year. The cost to replace them, even for the low end and least expensive cushions, was going to add up fast. I wanted to keep the cost down so I decided to make them myself. I found some outdoor (fabric vs. vinyl) tablecloths in some bright prints that I thought would work well. I struggled a bit with some of the details like getting the measurements right and what to use for inserts. I didn’t want this to be one of those projects that never gets completed so I allowed myself to make mistakes and rip out some seams if I had to.

Here are the dining table cushions:

100_1014

Here are a couple of the pillows…

100_1004

100_1009 

…and the swing cushions:

100_1005

I used the old foam from the old cushion, washed it and put snaps in the back seam so that it can be easily removed and washed. The pillow insert is an inexpensive queen size bed pillow.

For the pillows, I cut out felt appliqués and embroidered them into place. I was inspired by throw pillows I’ve seen in the stores and catalogues recently and this project idea from Jo-Ann. Since I was on a pillow-making roll, I had to make this pillow using Ruffles and Stuff’s tutorial. Here’s my version:

100_0989

I used my die cutter for the butterflies and some of the flowers that I used in the other pillows. I used templates that I found online for the rest of the flowers and for the birds. Also, for the bird pillows, I used a stencil and fabric paint that I already had for the branches. The inserts are from throw pillows that I wasn’t using.

Once I got the measurements right, the sewing was easy and I enjoyed doing the embroidery in the evenings while watching TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pillows! They sounded neat when you described them, but they are so pretty in the pictures! It all looks so nice together.

I want to start cutting out felt right now :)

Post a Comment